Are you experiencing high levels of stress or higher than normal blood pressure? Feeling depressed, anxious or sleep deprived? It might come down to how you’re breathing. Diaphragmatic Breathing, also known as belly breathing or abdominal breathing, has many health benefits that affect your entire body and is the basis for almost all relaxation or meditation techniques.
Here are some benefits that diaphragmatic breathing has:
- Reduces the harmful effects of cortisol, a stress hormone, on your body by helping you to relax
- Lowers heart rate
- Lowers blood pressure
- Helps to cope with the symptoms of PTSD
- Improves core muscle stability
- Enhances your ability to tolerate intense exercise
- Decreases chances of muscle injury
- Slows rate of breathing
- Reduces stress
There are a lot of different breathing exercises, but they may not all be the best choice for you. Talk to your doctor or respiratory therapist if you’re interested in using a breathing exercise to reduce your symptoms.
Weighted Blankets – The Solution For Sleepless Nights?
Feeling Stressed? Stress Relief Might Help Your Health
Rich Holiday Food Spikes Cholesterol Levels by up to 20 Percent!
8 Ways to Truly Relax on Vacation.
The Secret to Aging Gracefully? Dance!