Effective Monday, June 8, 2020, each patient may have one designated visitor. (
Please Note: This update does not include Virginia Gay Nursing and Rehab. Families should still contact Nursing & Rehab management/activities about options for phone calls, emails and video chats for visits with residents.
All visitors must meet the following general visitor requirements
- Must be age 18 or older and healthy
- Will be screened for symptoms of fever and illness when arriving and asked which patient they are visiting
- Must wear a face covering such as a face mask, and will be asked to stay in designated areas as much as possible
- Visitors unable to wear a face mask for medical reasons will be provided a face shield.
- Should be a support person who is essential for the physical and/or mental well-being of the patient
Designated caregivers/visitors must be free of any signs of illness. Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
Designated caregivers/visitor in IP unit:
- 18 years of age and older
- Siblings are not allowed
- Will receive a red armband with patient room number. Please remain in patient room as appropriate.
- Limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas
- Free from illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose)
Designated caregivers are required to wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol- based hand foam/gel upon entering and exiting patient’s room. Team members will provide instructions if additional PPE is required.
We understand these visitor restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our patients and staff.
Thank you for your cooperation in this effort. For up-to-date information related to COVID-19, please visit www.idph.iowa.gov.
*For more information on Virginia Gay Hospital’s response to COVID-19, please visit our COVID-19 Need to Know web page.